Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Tomatoes Revived

So how does a tomato plant survive?

That's what happened to my hothouse tomato plant that I bought last April. It produced some very delicious tomatoes. Unfortunately, most of them were stolen by the Berkeley killer squirrels (as I call them.)

So when a furry culprit took my absolute last tomato? I gave up. (The worst part is that the stupid thing took a bite and left the rest of the tomato on my patio.)

I stopped watering it and let it go to the summer heat.

For months I left it sitting on the patio. I kept thinking about getting rid of the dried up plant. Then the first rains came in October and I did not want to handle a muddy potted plant. So I waited. When it stopped I finally went out to the patio, a new garbage bag in hand, ready to entomb my dead tomato plant.

I was shocked to see that from the dried and shriveled stems of this once lush plant, grew stalks of green. It was alive! I couldn't believe it and I got right back into taking care of it, though I've moved it to a sunnier part of the patio.

And today, on (suprisingly) warm January day, there are blossoms.

No comments: