
Today marks a sad day for Scharffen Berger Chocolate fans as it was publicly announced in the San Francisco Chronicle that the factory here in Berkeley will be closing.
I already knew this before today since I work right next to the factory and the restaurant exclusively uses Scharffen Berger Chocolate.
Chocolate is a luxury, and we are reminded of it during these difficult economic times. Another example is during World War II when chocolate was a rare sight in Europe. I was reading some of the comments on sfgate.com regarding the article and there is every opinion under the sun about this factory closing. (Note that there will still be Scharffen Berger Chocolate, but will be produced in a factory in Illinois. )
I keep thinking about all the accounts of artisan chocolate makers that I've read or listened to. It's not about the money. It's about creating something that you are proud to call your own. It's about doing something that you are passionate about. Anything made in its purest form doesn't always come cheap.
I am glad I had a chance to work here and learn so much more about chocolate. It took me a while, but I think I finally learned how to really taste it.
How I will miss the smell of chocolate as I walk in to work, the flocks of people passing by our cafe as they go for a tour, but most of all, I will miss the people: I will miss my brief chats with the folks in the retail store as I pop into buy a few bars. I will miss talking with the employees as they come by for coffee or a chocolate scone.
As for me, who knows what direction the cafe will go. Wherever it goes, I will continue what I am doing and continue doing it well.
No comments:
Post a Comment