Friday, September 26, 2008

When the Freezer Stops Freezing...

You have in mind your production schedule for the day. It is the afternoon and you have already baked off the morning pastries and cookies. You've iced the brownies and piped ganache on the chocolate cupcakes. Two quiches have been baked off for the lunch specials. You've even had time to test out a new pumpkin muffin recipe. The chocolate stout cake has cooled and you are ready to put them in the freezer to be used at a later date.

But the freezer smells funny. You put your hand in and it feels, strangely, warmer. You start poking at different product, expecting your finger to hit a wall of frozen items. But everything you touch give way to the pressure you apply. There is condensation on the inside wall of the freezer.

Great.

Problems happen all the time. I've always found that the problems that arise in the kitchen forces one to be creative. Much of the time, I have to stop what I am doing and find a solution of some sort. Because there's really no other choice. How perfect it would if everything came out the way you wanted. If all ovens behaved the same, if freezers didn't break down, if the temperature and humidity were just perfect, etc.

So what do I usually have in there? Unbaked product such as scones and cookie dough, cakes waiting to be iced, nuts to keep from going rancid, fruit purees, pate brisee wrapped in plastic wrap, puff pastry, and ice cream samples.

The rest of my production was put on pause for the rest of the day. I scrambled to find freezer items temporary homes in other freezers and fridges. And I made it work.

You just have to.

No comments: