Friday, September 19, 2008

Alfajores

I 've been spoiled.

I can't just have any cookie. I recently nibbled on a brand name oatmeal chocolate chip cookie. My reaction: No. Can't do it. Bleh! I think I've stopped eating store-bought cookies altogether. I remember my childhood favorite: Oreo's, Pepperidge Farms' Milanos, Famous Amos, and Chips Ahoy. Nope. Not for me.

With that out into the open, on to alfajores.

Alfajores are cookies from South America. Imagine dulce de leche sandwiched between two biscuit like cookies. A layer of powdered sugar elegantly dressed onto the top layer. The cookie part is rich and crumbly, and at first makes you feel like you need a glass of milk, but when you taste that ooey, gooey dulce de leche, your need for counterbalance is satisfied. The experience melting away in your mouth.

My sister had brought some for me from her trip to Argentina. She had bought me a box and had it waiting for me at my family's home. But my aunts and uncles would come by and peak in the pantry. And before you know it, only four individually wrapped cookies were left. They were my first alfajores and I enjoyed each one. Yes, they were the store-bought kind, and they were dipped in chocolate. But that was years ago. I had forgotten what they tasted like, but I remember I liked them

Then I came across Monica's alfajores. It is a Peruvian recipe, and they are freshly made. Yes! I have found a supply. I just love how they melt in my mouth. And, as they disappear they leave me with an expression of delight.

2 comments:

The Wandering ABC said...

I miss these from Argentina!

I want chocolate dipped ones!

private said...

oh my god I have to make these now!