As my friend, Carol, calls them. They have been the lastest craze as these cupcake-only bakeries keep popping up. Armies of them have been showing up at weddings in place of the intricate, fondant wedding cakes.
What is so fascinating about the cupcake? Is it because of nostalgia as memories of childhood birthday parties float in our minds? Is it the convenience of having your own individual cake for only a few dollars instead of buying regular cake ending up with leftovers?
It took me a while to pick up one to try out. I am not one to go buy or make a cake just because I feel like eating it myself. Carol recommended Kara's Cupcakes in San Francisco. It was very cute as it reminded me of a jewelry store; the cupcakes were displayed in a glass-encased counter, but in small amounts. It was unlike a bakery were pastries are packed into baskets to show abundance. I debated between the flavors as people came in and out with a missions in mind. The Chocolate with Fleur de Sel or the Passion Fruit filled one. I decided on something simple: the Buttery Buttermilk with Vanilla Buttercream. (I may seem boring, but I find that it is important that even the simple flavors be good.) I found myself rather delighted with the few bites of the moist cake. The buttercream had a good balance and I did not feel like I was eating a mouthful of butter or sugar. But I think what makes Kara's cupcakes so good are the ingredients. Mmmm... Scharffen Berger Chocolate, Napa Perfect Puree, Clover Dairy... It definitely beats a supermarket cupcake filled with hydrogenated oils.
My next trip to LA will be a trip to Sprinkles, which has a more extensive menu. Ginger-Lemon, anyone?
Wednesday, May 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment