This is one of the many reasons why I love living in California: the produce! Next in line for the summer fruits are cherries. I was walking down College Avenue today and passed by Yasai Market. I could not resist picking up a prepackaged 1 1/2 pound bag of California cherries. (For $1.99 a pound, who could resist.) We've been getting them at work, so I've been able to try the first cherries of the season.
I tried them right when I got home and to my delight they were sweet (as compared to the ones these previous weeks.) It is strange because no one in my family really likes to eat cherries. I think I am the only one. (Well, my dad like Cherry Garcia ice cream, but that is the only form of cherries that he enjoys.)
California cherry season is the strongest through June. If you plan to bake with them, removing the seed may be more appealing. You can purchase a cherry/olive pitter at Sur La Table or Williams-Sonoma. On my most recent trip to Williams-Sonoma, they carried an OXO cherry pitter for $11 and it comes with a splash guard.
Bing cherries and Rainier cherries are also starting to come around.
1 comment:
I have eaten way to many cherries lately. So addictive! I didn't pick them myself, but I did buy them at the fruit stand at the orchard where they were picked by someone else!
Post a Comment