Saturday, December 6, 2008

A tribute to the Queen



I've never tried the Queen of Sheba cake before this year. But for such a simple cake, it has an intense flavor that you don't want to be without it in your repretoire of recipes. I immediately fell in love with it.

For the first big holiday party of the season, I decided serve this cake for our guests. They had quite a selection for dinner: filet mignon, chicken confit, salmon, and a creamy parpadelle pasta. My boss wanted to have something special served for dessert, so the Queen was the way to go.

Instead of almond and brandy, I replaced it with hazelnuts and rum. Along with the cake, I plated vanilla anglaise, orange caramel, and candied hazelnuts.

To be honest, I had a hard time building this dessert. For some reason, I really wanted to add something orange. I wracked my brain for things that I could do with orange. The only thing that I was not able to get to was the caramel marinated orange segments. With the holiday parties and my vacation coming up, my production just piled on, and I had to cut things out.

But the Queen of Sheba makes a statement for itself. With or without the bells and whistles.

No comments: