Summer is here...even before the official date. People are out and about in flip-flops with some sort of cold beverage in hand. Fans and air conditioner are working full blast.
And it gets even hotter in the kitchen. I have spent enough summers in restaurant kitchens to dread the hot weather. It is nice if you are sitting outside for an evening meal. But, you will have your endurance and tolerance tested in the kitchen with the temperature rising outside. I am fortunate to be in the pastry kitchen, but the hot line has the stove, the grill and the oven, all sources that adds to the heat.
Twice this year, we have had one of the freezers break on a hot day. The first time around was the pastry freezer. Fortunately, my boss was at work earlier than me that day and discovered it in time to save my precious product.
I think the worst, though, was a few years ago when I was at the Slanted Door. Sure, the dining area was pleasantly air conditioned, but, man, was it hot the second you stepped into the kitchen. The plating station was worse with the fryer behind you. Occasionally, you would find someone taking their time in the walk-in, taking advantage of the few moments of cool air.
There is nothing like feeling like constantly being inside a hot cloud, beads of sweat on your brow, your shirt sticking to your back, trying to pin out pie dough.
I am hoping that this is a just a heat wave, but with global warming, that may not be so.
Wednesday, June 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment